About Gus Teja
Gus Teja is a flute (Suling) maestro from a small village near Ubud, Bali. He is the youngest of four children from his parents I Nyoman Kadjil and Ni Wayan Darpini. He began playing the flute while attending elementary school, yet spent a lot of time during this period practicing the gamelan (Balinese traditional instrument). As the years progressed, his interest in wind instruments increased. This sparked the obsession in learning all there was about wind instruments from around the world.
Since childhood Gus Teja is excited to be a flute player. Flute is an instrument with melodious voice that represents the voice of peace. He feels free when everytime playing flute as well as a form of meditation in his devotion to God.
Gus Teja continued to challenge himself by creating new instruments to go along with his passion of flutes. Ranging from whittled wood instruments to full fledged bamboo flutes. He is always experimenting with creating new works of music by incorporating musical instruments from modern instruments with traditional sounds. After years of patience and practice, Gus Teja finally formed a world music band named Gus Teja World Music.
Musical works that have been created not only represent an expression of his feeling from the deepest part of his heart, but also reflects peace, serenity, and a strong bond of brotherhood regardless of cultural background or a different race. Gus Teja said, “Music is universal … therefore through music let’s bring peace and love to the world.
About Gus Teja World Music
Gus Teja World Music was established by Agus Teja Sentosa (Gus Teja) in April 2008. The world music group originated from Ubud – Bali makes the flute as the spirit of their music combined with Balinese gamelan instruments like Tingklik, Slonding, and Kendang with western musical instruments like acoustic guitar, classical guitar, ukulele and bass guitar.
Beside using flute, in the development their musical, Gus Teja World Music also combine wind instruments from various parts of the world such as Native American flute, Ocarina, Hulusi, Quena, Whistle, and Pan Flute. Currently Gus Teja world music has had three (3) pieces of album on CD as “Rhythm of Paradise” which was released in late 2009, “Flutes for Love” in 2011, and “Ulah Egar” in 2015.
Gus Teja World Music has been invited to hold performances at local events in Bali, national events, as well as international events such as in Malaysia and South Korea. As for the experience of art that have been done by Gus Teja World Music is as follows:
- Perform at Penang World Music Festival n Penang – Malaysia, 2015.
- The release of the third album with the title “Ulah Egar”, 2015.
- Perform at Denpasar Expo, Denpasar – Bali, 2015.
- Perform at Denpasar Ethnic Music Fiesta, Denpasar – Bali, 2014.
- Perform at Nusa Dua Fiesta, Nusa Dua – Bali, 2014.
- Perform at Sanur Village Festival, Denpasar – Bali, 2014.
- Perform at Bali Mahalango, Denpasar – Bali, 2014.
- Perform at Solo International Performing Arts in Solo – Central Java, 2014.
- Perform at Cardinal Art and Culture in Solo Surakarta – Central Java, 2014.
- Join in Indonesia Performing Art Market in Jakarta 2013.
- Perform at Nusa Dua Fiesta, Nusa Dua – Bali, 2013.
- Perform at Sanur Village Festival, Denpasar – Bali, 2013.
- Perform at Penang World Music Festival in Penang – Malaysia, 2015.
- Join in Gyeongju World Traditional Wind Instruments Festival in South Korea, 2012.
- Perform at Sanur Village Festival, Denpasar – Bali, 2012.
- Music concert themed “Flutes for Love” at Art Centre Denpasar – Bali, 2011.
- Take out a second album on CD entitled “Flutes for Love”, 2011.
- Perform at Sanur Village Festival, Denpasar – Bali, 2010.
- Perform at Kuta Carnival, Kuta – Bali, 2010.
- Perform at Ubud Festival, Ubud – Bali, 2010.
- The release of debut album on CD entitled “Rhythm of Paradise”, 2010.
And many other artistic experiences that can not be mentioned one by one.